You can put that old PlayStation DualShock 3 controller to better use than sitting in a dusty relic of a bygone era on your PC, where it can be used to play both new and old games, if you’re getting tired of using a mouse and keyboard. It’s also an innovative approach to recycling.
A PlayStation 3 controller isn’t necessary when the DualShock 4 is available and Xbox controllers can be easily set up with a PC.
The PlayStation 3 controller is unique in that it incorporates an accelerometer that can detect motion and pressure on the analog face buttons along all three axes of movement and rotation.
This translates into pressure-sensitive analog buttons, a feature absent from both the DualShock 4 and Xbox controllers.
When using a PlayStation 3 controller on a computer, how do you get it to sync? The setup process isn’t as straightforward as plugging in a USB cable like Microsoft’s patented Xbox controller, but it’s still well worth it.
Get together your used PS3 controller and its charging mini-USB cable before you begin. If not, you can pick up a generic mini-USB capable at any local electronics store or on Amazon for pennies.
The setup process may be hampered if you continue to use a PlayStation 3, so be sure to turn it off first.
In order to get Windows 10 to recognize the controller as an Xbox controller, we have to pretend it is one of those. Dedicated drivers are required for this task.
Download and install the Microsoft DirectX runtime, Microsoft Visual C 2010 Redistributable Package, Microsoft.NET Framework 4.5, Microsoft Visual C 2013 runtime, and Xbox 360 controller driver (if you’re not using Windows 10).
Alternatively, connect the PS3 controller to a PC’s USB port by plugging the shorter end of the cable into the controller’s USB port. After that, Windows will prompt multiple driver downloads.
The problem is that it might not download them all, depending on the version of Windows you’re using. As a result, we advise against automatically downloading them and instead downloading them by hand.
- You can use the DualShock 3 with a PC if you plug it into a mini-USB port and activate it using the PlayStation button in the middle of the controller. In order to get the controller talking to Windows, you’ll need to grab the most recent version of ScpToolkit, a piece of open-source software.
- The “ScToolkit_Setup.exe” installer, which looks like a PlayStation 3 controller, can be used to set up ScpToolkit (you may need to extract it first using Windows 10’s built-in extractor tool).
When prompted to choose which features to install, select the desired file location and then click “Install” without changing any of the defaults, save for making sure the “ScpToolkit Bluetooth Pair Utility” under “Legacy Components” is selected. It’s possible that you’ll need to set up some “Prerequisites;” if so, do so.
- Once everything is set up, you’ll be prompted to “Run Driver Installer;” to do so, just hit the big green play button in the middle of the window. On the following page, you’ll find a complete catalog of accessible drivers. Make sure to uncheck “Install DualShock 4 driver” before checking “Install Bluetooth driver” and “Install DualShock 3 driver.”
- Select your Bluetooth dongle or motherboard’s built-in Bluetooth feature (which may need to be enabled if it doesn’t show up) by clicking “Choose Bluetooth dongles to install” to the right. Click “PLAYSTATION(R)3 Controller (VIDL xxxx, PID: xxxx)” under “Choose DualShock 3 controllers to install,” where “x” is some combination of numbers and letters that is specific to your device.
ScpToolkit will install and configure the required drivers after you tap the ”Install” button on the right.
As it goes on, notifications should appear in the right corner of your display. Check these out to make sure the installations went off without a hitch.
Once ScpToolkit has completed, you can exit by selecting the ”Exit” button located to the right of the ”Install” button.
Success and Bluetooth
The PS3 controller is now set up and ready to use with a simple plug and play. Take note that the ScpToolkit icon has appeared in the system tray, indicating that the program is active and processing data. In the absence of any other instructions, ScpToolkit will launch itself whenever Windows boots.
You can use it cordlessly by simply removing the plug from the controller. Syncing via Bluetooth will be completed within a few seconds, at which point Windows will display a popup confirming success.
After a PC restart, you’ll need to plug in the controller via USB, let ScpToolkit do its thing, and then you’ll be good to go with wireless control.
ScpToolkit gives the user extensive control over the PlayStation 3 controller’s settings. Learn how to get to the settings here.
Navigate to “ScpToolkit Settings Manager” in the Windows start menu and select it to activate the program. Here you can fine-tune the tool’s settings, such as sound notifications, controller latency and sensitivity, the “dead-zone threshold,” axis flipping, vibration off, and more.
Finally, the PS3 controller will function exactly like an Xbox 360 controller once Windows 10 is tricked into using the appropriate drivers. This means that some games will ignore the button configuration used to control them. Thus, achieving X may not be the same as achieving X.
Thankfully, most games allow you to remap buttons to perform different actions. Alternatively, you can access the “ScpToolkit Profile Manager” from the Windows Start menu if this doesn’t work. Make your own button assignments and save them as a custom mapping profile from this menu.
If games are being finicky, it may take some trial and error to find the optimal mapping, but if you stick with it, you’ll get there.
For security reasons, Windows 10 might not let you install the DualShock 3 controller drivers.
The vast majority of DualShock 3 drivers are unsigned, meaning they haven’t been approved by a trusted developer or company before installation. Driver installation will fail if ”Driver Signature Enforcement” is enabled.
To avoid this issue, “Driver Signature Enforcement” must be disabled. This isn’t the best option because it could leave your computer open to attacks, so keep that in mind before we move on. If this issue persists, try switching to a DualShock 4 or Xbox controller.
- In the Windows menu, select “Settings.”
- To access Recovery, go to “Update and Security” under “Settings” and then click “Recovery” on the left side of the screen. If you go to “Advanced startup,” you’ll find a “Restart Now” button; use this to restart the computer.
- After the computer reboots, go to the “Startup Settings” menu. To access the line reading “Disable driver signature enforcement,” press “F7” on your keyboard. To restart Windows normally, press the enter key.
- To get the drivers and get your PS3 controller synced, just follow the instructions given above.
Benefits of Gamepad Controller
Why you should get one?
Your PC will benefit greatly from a gaming controller. Using a gamepad improves the performance of many racing games, and it’s also useful for many platformers.
The use of a keyboard and mouse can be cumbersome in games where the primary method of control is a weapon, while an analog stick is much more convenient. For instance, using an Xbox 360 controller makes Battlefield 4 run much more smoothly than when using a keyboard and mouse.
What is an Xbox 360 Controller?
There is a lot of love for Microsoft’s Xbox 360 controller. Its widespread acceptance is due to its comfortable design and widespread implementation in popular games like the Halo and Gears of War series.
It’s also known as a Wireless Controller or just 360 controller. Defining the Playstation 3 Controller: Sony’s PlayStation 3 supports a wide variety of control styles, each with its own feel and look.
Both USB and wireless controllers are common for the PS3. Standard button controls, Touchpad-enabled controls (PlayStation Move), Motion controls (Eye Toy), and Voice commands (PlayStation Eye) are the four primary play styles supported by the PlayStation 3.
You can find the perfect PS3 controller to suit your needs among the many models currently on the market.
Benefit 1: Direct & Comfortable Control
Using a keyboard and mouse is essential for any PC game. The use of a gamepad greatly improves the performance of racing games in this regard.
Games typically fare better when played with a gamepad because of the control system’s familiarity and responsiveness, both of which contribute to the experience.
That’s a reference to a wide range of games, and it also describes why it’s easier to use weapons in virtual worlds. The arrangement of buttons works wonderfully for managing everything.
Benefit 2: Dual Handed
A gamepad lets you keep both hands on the controller and the controls, simplifying even the most intricate actions.
If you can execute a string of moves without missing a beat, the extra arm juggling is well worth it. There are advantages to being ambidextrous.
Benefit 3: Vibration Feedback
The vibration feature on a game controller can be used for a number of purposes. This could be used as an input method (for instance, using vibrations to control steering) or as feedback (for instance, when you hit an enemy or get hurt in a game).
Though not particularly practical, it can be entertaining. There is no need to purchase a separate vibration motor or feedback device because these functions are already included in a wireless controller.
Benefit 4: Compatibility
The Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and Nintendo Switch gamepads can be used with a wide variety of newer games. The greater variety of games available thanks to compatibility means there’s no reason not to try out a new game as soon as you get your controller. If you’re looking for inspiration, we have compiled a list of the best PS4 controllers and the top Xbox One racing games.
Benefit 5: Better Performance
A gamepad is required for optimal performance in any racing game. The controls are simple and intuitive, which immediately improves usability and, by extension, efficiency.
While it’s not included in every racing game, the performance of most is greatly enhanced by using a gamepad.
In many cases, the number of available buttons exceeds that of a standard keyboard and mouse.
Because of this, choosing weapons in games is much more straightforward and simple because there is no need to press a second button.
Benefit 6: Additional Controls
Players who opt to use a gamepad controller have the added benefit of being able to make use of additional buttons and triggers, such as those located on the controller’s shoulder pads.
Despite the prevalence of games that can be played with only one or two control types, there are still a significant number of action games that require a wider variety of buttons.
While games like Resistance: Fall of Man for the PlayStation 3 can be played with a single analog stick, players will find it much more convenient to switch their thumb from the movement controls to the shooting controls in order to aim and fire.
Benefit 7: Common For FPS (First Person Shooter) Games
XBox and PlayStation are the go-to consoles for first-person shooter games. The advantages of a gamepad controller over a mouse and keyboard have led to its widespread adoption.
Why a gamepad is ideal for first-person shooters The XBox or PlayStation controller is designed with player comfort in mind.
Some players prefer them to the more cumbersome keyboard and mouse, and many recent first-person shooters have been designed with these controllers in mind.
You can learn which controller works best for you by trying out a few different models. A gamepad removes the need for fast reflexes because of how quickly actions can be executed.
Benefit 8: Good For RTS (Real Time Strategy) Games
If you play Real Time Strategy (RTS) games, you’ll find that a gamepad controller gives you significantly more agency.
By pressing specific buttons, you can either launch your troops at far-off foes or close in for a direct confrontation. Furthermore, the ability to command one’s troops with the same precision as a real soldier adds a new level of realism to games of a military nature.
What to Consider When Choosing a PS3 Controller
When shopping for a PS3 controller, keep in mind the following:
- A Sony-made PlayStation 4 controller is an example of a third-party accessory. Always be on the lookout for fakes, but if you want compatibility, responsiveness, and longevity, then use a first-party controller. There’s a chance that a controller from a different manufacturer, a third party, will have more options and be cheaper.
- Control units may use either rechargeable batteries or standard AA batteries for power. Think about how long you can play on a single charge. It’s recommended that you purchase two controllers so that one can be charging while the other is in use.
- The convenience of a wireless connection to your gaming console is undeniable, but a wired controller can save you money if you don’t need the mobility it provides. Although using a wired controller has the advantage of not requiring batteries, you should still consider the layout of your gaming space and the length of the cord to ensure comfort while playing.
- Personalization: If you want to get better at a certain game, you can tweak the settings on the controller’s joysticks or buttons.
- It’s important that a controller is simple to hold and has a good grip when designing one. Controllers with unique colors or designs make it easy to tell them apart, and they also let you express your personal sense of style.
Best Overall: Sony Playstation Dualshock 3
The Playstation Dualshock 3 is a great option for a professional gaming experience, as it has been ranked as one of the top ten controllers of all time by numerous gamers and websites. The controller features Sixaxis technology, which can detect motion along all six axes, as well as the hand-vibrating Dualshock response. Since it was made by Sony specifically for use with the PS3, you can rest assured that it will perform flawlessly and allow you to sit comfortably while you play.
Best Value: Chengdao PS3 Controller 2 Pack
The design of this wireless controller is very similar to that of the Playstation Dualshock 3, but it is significantly less expensive. It’s equipped with two internal shock motors and can sense motion in all six axes. As a bonus, this two-pack features two visually appealing designs and a battery life of up to eight hours on a single charge.
Best Wireless Rechargeable: Bek Design Wireless
This wireless, vibrating controller is user-friendly, quick to react, and inexpensive. The USB cable is used to recharge the battery. A pair of soft, convenient grip caps are included for use with the thumb joysticks.
Best Multi-Platform: ZD-V Wired Gaming Controller
This controller is a wired USB gamepad compatible with PS3, Windows laptops, Android devices, and the Steam platform. You’ll get a smooth gaming experience thanks to the high-precision components, and you’ll love how it fits in your hand.
The Final Word
So, that’s pretty much it. Start up your game of choice, adjust the controls to your liking, and have fun!