The official handbook for Animal Crossing: New Horizons reveals the specific requirements for a 5 star island rating in the game.
With at least 665 Development points and 450 Scenery points, your island must be rated 5 stars.
You must plant as many trees as possible in order to gain Scenery points (1 point is awarded for every fully grown tree, up to 190 points). If your island has more than 220 trees, you’ll be penalized. You will get 1 point for every adult bloom on your island. Planting 190 trees and 260 flowers is the quickest way to reach 450 Scenery points.
In order to get Development points, you need to do a few things on your island. The following are the simplest methods:
- To gain 15 points, build the museum.
- 15 points can be earned by upgrading Nook’s Cranny.
- Build the tailor shop of the Able Sisters to earn 15 points.
- You get 15 points for every bridge and incline completed. If you use all eight of your bridges and all eight of your incline points, you’ll have a whopping 240 points.
- You earn points for putting together your own furniture and shopping for it at Nook Shopping.
- Per erected fence, you’ll earn 0.2 points.
- Furniture costing at least 2000 bells and outdoor furniture are rewarded with incentives.
Below, you’ll find all the information you need:
How Do You Get a 5-Star Island Rating in Animal Crossing?
In order to get a five-star rating, you’ll need more resources and a wider distribution of these resources around your island, which is comparable to our three-star rating guide’s recommendations.
1. Have 10 Villagers Living On Your Island
Having between seven and ten residents is one of the best ways to achieve a three-star island. To get the maximum rating of five stars, you need to have at least ten villagers. This means that you must occupy each and every possible plot, house, and location on your island. If you’re having problems finding more villagers in Animal Crossing, consult our wiki guide on how to get extra villagers.
2. Place Fencing Around Every House, Building, and Recreational Area
The fact that our EIC of Entertainment, Terri Schwartz, attributes her five-star island rating in ACNH to this particular tip may seem a little over the top. Afraid that her island would lose its allure to visitors due to its lack of “appealing landscape,” Isabelle erected fences around every single home. In addition to the fencing she had already put up, she added this!
As a result, we recommend enclosing all open areas on your island with fences, including residences, businesses, parks, and public plazas. These fences can be used in a variety of ways. Pseudo-walls can be used for a variety of purposes, including the construction of a small hotel or cafe on your island.
3. Plant Lots of Flowers, Especially Hybrid Flowers
We recommended planting flowers to help you achieve a three-star island rating, and you can use the same strategy to help you achieve a five-star island rating. For this time around, the idea is to plant them all around your island, and a few hybrid blooms wouldn’t hurt. Both Miranda Sanchez and Brendan Graeber, two of our editors, agree that this has an impact.
Every walkway, residence, and building on your island should be lined with rows of flowers. This will allow you to maximize the quantity of flowers on your island while minimizing the amount of clutter. If you’re wondering which colors work best for crossbreeding in Animal Crossing, check out our guide.
Plant a few flowers near your villagers’ homes if you don’t have a lot of time to tend to them yourself. They’ll often take care of them for you.
4. Connect Every Part Of Your Island With Paths, Bridges, and Inclines
There are already bridges and inclines built on the islands that make up our three-star grading system, but now we’re adding paths as well. Once K.K. Slider performs at your town and the credits roll, new paths are unlocked. Bridges and inclines should be added to your island if you already have a three-star island rating, and then paths should be laid out all across the island.
5. Decorate Your Island With Outdoor Decor, Furniture, and Attractions
For a five-star island rating, designing your island is one of the best ways to do so. It’s not just about how much you put out there; it’s also about where and how you put it. We recommend a wide range of outdoor furnishings and decor, whether they are handcrafted or purchased at Nook’s Cranny or the Nook Stop using Nook Miles.
In addition, we believe that having an enhanced Nook’s Cranny (which you can acquire some really fantastic goods in once you get it) can aid Check out our wiki guide on how to gain extra Animal Crossing furniture and expand your collection if you’re having problems getting more outdoor decor.
5-Star Island Rewards
In addition to the satisfaction that comes from accomplishing this goal, there are other benefits. Players who achieve a five-star island rating are rewarded with the following:
- This flower only displays after you receive a five-star review. More of these flowers will grow on your island’s cliffs the longer you keep the rating.
- Recipe for golden watering can — Isabelle will only give you this recipe if you’ve earned a five-star rating. One gold nugget and a watering can are all that is needed to package it. For gold roses, you need a golden watering container as well. Golden tools can break, but they are far more durable than iron or fragile equipment.
What is the Island Evaluation?
Isabelle at Resident Services implements the Island Evaluation in Animal Crossing: New Horizons after six dwellings have been built on your island. As a result of an unobserved criterion for how effectively you develop your desolate destination, your island will continually be scored on a scale from one to five stars.
How do you improve your island rating to 5 stars?
Your island receives points for both development and scenery, according to official sources studied. Plant life, furniture arrangement on the island, and other elements all go into determining the final score.
A 5-star island rating is only possible with a Development score of 665 and a Scenery score of 450. As you progress through the game, your island is divided into eight 8-by-8 squares.
Scenery Points are awarded for planting the following trees and building the following DIY furniture on your island:
- The more trees you have on your island, the more points you get.
- 0.5 points are awarded for each sprouted flower.
- Each stem of a flower is worth 0.7 points.
- Every flower bud is worth 0.7 points.
- Full-grown flowers are worth a single point.
- One point is awarded for each item of DIY furniture in the 8×8 grid that is 3×1, 3×2, or 3×3.
Each 8×8 grid contains 0.25 points x the amount of DIY furniture items and 0.75 points x the number of various types of DIY furniture (if 10+ distinct types of furniture are installed)
- How many DIY furniture items are placed in each 8×8 grid = 0.25 points x the number of 8×8 grids (if between 1-9 different types of furniture are placed)
Non-crafted furniture that is put around your island will earn you Development Points.
- For each piece of outdoor furniture, add 0.5 points.
- Each item of furniture that costs between 200 and 20,000 Bells earns 1 point.
- There are two points for each item of furniture that costs more than twenty thousand bells
- For every fence built, 0.2 points are awarded.
Each 8×8 grid contains one point for each item of non-DIY furniture (if less than 5 different types of furniture are placed)
In each 8×8 grid, the number of non-DIY furniture items and the number of distinct furniture types are each worth 0.5 points (if between 5-10 different types of furniture are placed)
- For each 8 x 8 grid, you get 0.25 points for each non-DIY furniture piece and 0.75 points for each distinct form of furniture (if 10 or more types of furniture are installed).
Other probable circumstances include, but are not limited to:
- Terraforming app and first K.K. Slider concert are required to unlock.
- Able Sisters’ shop and Nook’s Cranny must be acquired.
- Keep the island tidy by removing any weeds and sticks every day.
What will bring down your island rating?
- Isabelle will label a block as ‘cluttered’ if it has 45 or more of the 64 spaces in an 88 grid filled.
- An “untidy” classification from Isabelle will be given if there are more than 15 non-furniture items (such as tools and medicine bags) lying around on your island. Branch and shell detritus do not count, but keep your man-made objects in a safe location.
- More residents must be housed on the island than may reasonably be expected (10 NPCs; does not include playable characters)
Always keep in mind that Isabelle is always willing to lend a hand. There are a number of ways that you may make your apartment more comfortable, including “installing fence” or “buying stuff with Nook Miles,” which Isabelle will tell you about each time you visit Resident Services.
As soon as a modification is made, Isabelle’s rating is updated in real time, so be sure to check back regularly! You’ll have a beautiful island in no time if you follow her advice.
What happens when you achieve a 5-star island rating?
Our 5-star island rating took a lot of work and dedication on our part… we wanted to see more of a reward for our efforts.
Assuming you’ve made it to the “ideal island,” there are only a few items you may expect to receive:
- Isabelle’s recipe for a Golden Watering Can (yeah, it also breaks… which is completely absurd)
- While keeping up your score, you’ll see lily of the valley blossoms blooming around your island’s cliffs (ours started the next day, at a rate of roughly one per day).
- Possession of internet-based bragging rights
The 5-star island rating achievement in Animal Crossing: New Horizons is one of those things many of us will strive for out of pure complacency and fixation, rather than for any substantial benefit..
In any case, we’ll do as Isabelle says — and do it with a grin! — as long as it’s for the betterment of our imagined island.
In New Horizons, do you have a 5-star island rating? How long did it take you to build the island of your dreams?? Are there any pointers you can give to others who are thinking about doing the same thing? Please share your thoughts in the space provided.
How many trees do you need for a 5 Star island?
Isabelle will tell you that if you have more than 220 trees on your island, you have a “overabundance.” Reduce them to 219 trees or less.
Can you lose your 5 star rating Animal Crossing?
Having more than 15 junk items will lower your star rating. Keeping a 5 star island in Animal Crossing New Horizons is as simple as that.
How many flowers do you need for a 5 Star island?
Planting 190 trees and 260 flowers is the quickest way to reach 450 Scenery points. In order to get Development points, you need to do a few things on your island. The following are the simplest methods: To gain 15 points, build a museum.